Thursday, January 27, 2005

Allow Me to Express Myself

How exactly does one go about expressing oneself? is there a standard formula, and i just missed that lecture. because, i thought that one should not feel obligated to fulfil a role projected onto them by friends/society/culture/family/etc. i thought that one should be able to feel comfortable with whoever they are, despite outside influence or pressure. i thought that stereotypes weren't always a good thing. i mean, i realize that stereotypes arise for a reason, as in ther might be some truth to some of them. but, that does not mean that everyone encompassed within a particular demographic is/acts the same way. i thought that people are all unique. everyone has different personalities, traits, characteristics, talents, abilities, feelings, thoughts, etc.

you know what i'm tired of? being asked to conform. why should i? why should i sacrifice my true self just to fulfill a role "predetermined" for me by some greater force? franlky, i refuse. i won't do it any more. i want to feel comfortable with who i am, doing whatever i want to do when i want to do it, wearing what i want to wear, saying what i want to say, and doing all of that how i want to do it. i find it so sad that many conform just to "fit in." social pressure can be a nasty beast™. i, myself, am guilty of it. and, everytime i think of how i sacrificed my comfort or true self just to please others, i get depressed. i truly do.

why can't i just be me without being labeled? if i am not perpetuating the stereotype of one demographic, then i'm obviously the opposite (i.e if not black, then white). once again, in the spirit of self-improvement, i WILL be myself. i will NOT compromise who i am any longer. if someone does not like that, too bad. if someone does not like me for me, then screw them. i know this may sound harsh, but it's the way things need to be. it shouldn't be harsh at all, because we should ALL be accepting and embrace the differences and uniqueness of others. period. yet, this is not the way the world works. there are many assholes out there. if you are angry at what i'm writing, then you probably are one. if you agree with me, we are cool. let's be friends.

i find it appropriate to end with a quote by one of Dartmouth's most famous alumni: Dr. Seuss. He said so simply, yet so eloquently, "Be who you are and say what you feel because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind."

take care of yourselves, kiddies!

11 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger supergirl said...

Don't be so scared. Listen to good ol' Seuss '25...believe what he said.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christopher! Don't worry about what other people think. I believe I know you very well and anyone would be crazy to not love you. And besides they'd have to go through me first! :-) Love you.
Lucy

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger CJo said...

This is why we are married.
People better love me. Or i will spread rumors about their sexual deficiencies/inadequacies. And it won't be done in a tactful fashion.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger supergirl said...

i've got plenty of blackmail you can use....hahahahaha

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger CJo said...

i am a blackmale.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger supergirl said...

this is true...

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Psychomoore said...

great post!

How did you get the little "TM" next to beast?

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger CJo said...

I love my Mac™ made by Apple™.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger supergirl said...

my Mac™ is a sexy beast™

its ∞ times better than your stupid PCs.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger CJo said...

Hey dude, thanks for the response. i can see what you are saying. but, i think you are reading a bit too much into what i'm saying. i can be comfortable doing what i want to do. if i choose to wear a particular style of clothing as opposed to another, then that IS my choice, whether they are mainstream clothing fashions or not. I can simply choose to wear kahkis every day instead of jeans. that is my choice.

my blog is not a formal essay. it's just my thoughts/ feelings/ whatever is on my mind pressing me to write. you can certainly analyze whait i write as thoroughly as you desire. yet, i just ask that you be aware that i do not carefully construct each sentence. thanks for reading!!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger CJo said...

PB & J-- You said it exactly. Thank you. I obviously could not be so eloquent in my response, but you have taken care of exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks for readin and responding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home